Immediate mode GUIs
Mat, Johnny and Jon are joined by Elias, creator of Gio, to discuss GUIs. Specifically, we explore the pros and cons of immediate vs retained mode and explore some examples of each, as well how some frameworks like React are attempting to bring the benefits of immediate mode to a retained mode world (the DOM).
Changelog++ members support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear. Join today!
Linode – Our cloud of choice and the home of Changelog.com. Deploy a fast, efficient, native SSD cloud server for only $5/month. Get 4 months free using the code
changelog2020. To learn more and get started head to linode.com/changelog.
- Algorithms with Go – A free Go course where panelist Jon Calhoun teaches you how algorithms and data structures work, how to implement them in Go code, and where to practice at. Great for learning Go, learning about algorithms for the first time, or refreshing your algorithmic knowledge.
- The Brave Browser – Browse the web up to 8x faster than Chrome and Safari, block ads and trackers by default, and reward your favorite creators with the built-in Basic Attention Token. Download Brave for free and give tipping a try right here on changelog.com.
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com.
- Elias Naur – Twitter, GitHub
- Jon Calhoun – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Mat Ryer – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Johnny Boursiquot – Twitter, GitHub, Website
Notes and Links
- Immediate mode
- Retained mode - The opposite of Immediate mode.
- Scatter - Federated chat client built with Gio using email for messaging.
- Egon Elbre - Egon designed the Gio logo.
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!