Monorepos, Mentoring, Testing
Bryan Lyles joined the show to talk about career progression in tech and learning, the idea of a 10x developer, the practice of testing, and advantages and disadvantages of a monorepo.
Changelog++ members support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear. Join today!
Linode – Our cloud server of choice! We host everything we do on Linode servers. Use the code
gotime20to get 2 months free!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform.
- Backtrace – Reduce your time to resolution. Go beyond stacktraces and logs. Get to the root cause quickly with deep application introspection at your fingertips.
- Bryan Liles – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Erik St. Martin – Twitter, GitHub
- Carlisia Thompson – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Brian Ketelsen – Twitter, GitHub
Notes and Links
- Double Dutch (jump rope)
- Guitar Zero: The Science of Becoming Musical at Any Age
- GopherCon 2016: Katrina Owen - Mind the Gap (video)
- Jack Lindamood’s blog
- Ines Sombra
- Great example of an API client in Go: Digital Ocean API client
- Bryan’s TAFT talk about testing (2008)
- Bryan’s talk at Abstract Conference: Embracing your impending obsolescence (2016)
- Brian Ketelsen’s talk at Abstract Conference: Generate All The Things (2016)
- Bryan talk at LynuxCon, AppOps: A Concise Guide for Moving from Development to Production (2016)
- Bryan’s talk at Velocity: Under the covers: Capturing application errors, logs, and metrics (2016)
- Bryan’s keynoting at Codedaze Conference (2016)
- Bryan at Code Summit in Lisbon (2016)
- The Science of Swearing: A look into the human MIND and other less socially acceptable four-letter words
- Testify package for testing
- Gomega: “Ginkgo’s Preffered Matcher Library”
- GoConvey: “Write behavioral tests in your editor. Get live results in your browser.”
- Kubernetes as an example of tests for an application (as opposed to a library)
-Go in a Monorepo: cthulhu (blog)
- Why Google Stores Billions of Lines of Code in a Single Repository
- Taming Your Go Dependencies (blog)
- Go extension for Visual Studio editor
Free Software Friday
- Brian - pfSense is a free and open source firewall, router and more
- Erik - Ansible: a radically simple IT automation platform
- Bryan - Ben Johnson’s Go Walkthrough
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!