Pow! Pow! Power tools!
Johnny and John welcome Thorsten Ball back to the show. This time we’re talking power tools! Editors, operating systems, containers, cloud providers, databases, and more. You name it, we probably talk about.
Changelog++ members support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear. Join today!
- DigitalOcean – DigitalOcean’s developer cloud makes it simple to launch in the cloud and scale up as you grow. They have an intuitive control panel, predictable pricing, team accounts, worldwide availability with a 99.99% uptime SLA, and 24/7/365 world-class support to back that up. Get your $100 credit at do.co/changelog.
- Algorithms with Go – A free Go course where panelist Jon Calhoun teaches you how algorithms and data structures work, how to implement them in Go code, and where to practice at. Great for learning Go, learning about algorithms for the first time, or refreshing your algorithmic knowledge.
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com.
- Rollbar – We move fast and fix things because of Rollbar. Resolve errors in minutes. Deploy with confidence. Learn more at rollbar.com/changelog.
- Thorsten Ball – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Jon Calhoun – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Johnny Boursiquot – Twitter, GitHub, Website
Notes and Links
- How much do we bend to the will of our tools?
- vim - A terminal-based text editor.
- tmux - A terminal multiplexer.
- postgres.app - A postgres server for macOS.
- psql - The default PostgreSQL CLI, configurable via
- pgcli - CLI for postgres.
- jq - Command line JSON parsing tool.
- bolt db - A key value store written in Go.
- bleve - A text indexing library for go
- ngrok - A useful tool for exposing localhost apps to the web for testing things like webhooks.
- Paw - A tool for testing APIs on a Mac.
- Postman - Another tool for testings APIs, but works on all OSes.
- modd - A tool for reloading code and running tests when it changes.
- gotest - A tool for running Go tests with color output.
- Github CLI - Github’s official CLI tool.
- Getting Things Done - A time management method.
- Trello - A task management platform.
- Things - A todo app for macOS.
- Todoist - A cross-platform todo app.
- Notion - A cross-platform todo app.
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!