The trouble with databases
Databases are tricky, especially at scale. In this episode Mat, Jaana, and Jon discuss different types of databases, the pros and cons of each, along with the many ways developers can have issues with databases. They also explore questions like, “Why are serial IDs problematic?” and “What alternatives are there if we aren’t using serial IDs?” while at it.
Changelog++ members support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear. Join today!
Linode – Our cloud of choice and the home of Changelog.com. Deploy a fast, efficient, native SSD cloud server for only $5/month. Get 4 months free using the code
changelog2020. To learn more and get started head to linode.com/changelog.
- The Brave Browser – Browse the web up to 8x faster than Chrome and Safari, block ads and trackers by default, and reward your favorite creators with the built-in Basic Attention Token. Download Brave for free and give tipping a try right here on changelog.com.
- Gophercises – Gophercises is a free course that will help you become more familiar with Go while developing your skills as a programmer. The course consists of 20 different mini-applications, packages, and tools that are each designed to teach you something unique about Go. Get started at gophercises.com/gotime
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com.
- Jaana Dogan – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Mat Ryer – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jon Calhoun – Twitter, GitHub, Website
Notes and Links
- Things I Wished More Developers Knew About Databases
- Book: Designing Data-Intensive Applications
- International Collegiate Programming Contest
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!