Shootout at the Local Dev Corral
In this episode, we all square up at high noon, discussing our favorite local development environments in a shootout to determine the best of the best. We talk about why we use a local dev environment at all, and what we’re trying to accomplish by using one.
We discuss not using any local dev environment (true “cowboy coding”), MAMP, Laravel Valet, Nanobox, Docker, and Laravel Homestead in depth, and touch on some other fringe local dev setups people might be using. A really good discussion of the merits of each ensues, with surprisingly little bloodshed.
We had on special guests Jalen Davenport and Nathan Querido for this rousing discussion! This episode should be interesting for everyone to hear how their local dev environment of choice fares, as well as learning about some other options they might want to explore!
- Installing Craft CMS v3 with MAMP Pro
- Laravel Valet
- Getting Started with Craft CMS 3 and Laravel Valet
- Laravel Homestead
- Local Development with Vagrant / Homestead
- Craft CMS – Dev to Production with Nanobox
- Craft3/Craft2 CMS Docker base
- Database & Asset Syncing Between Environments in Craft CMS
- Local: A quick and easy local environment for Craft 3