395: The Waybig Machine
It's our worst idea yet. We share the password to our brand-new server and see who can own the box first. Whoever wins gets a special prize.
Plus how Archive.org uses Linux, and more.
Special Guests: Brent Gervais, Carl George, and Neal Gompa.
- Linode Cloud Hosting: A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
- tsukae — Show off your most used shell commands
- GNOME Shell X11Gestures Wxtension — Enable GNOME Shell multi-touch gestures on X11 with this extension.
- TouchEgg — Touchégg is an app that runs in the background and transform the gestures you make on your touchpad or touchscreen into visible actions in your desktop.
- Apple Touch Bar Linux Driver Hopes For Upstream In 2021 — Sent out on Saturday by independent developer Ronald Tschalär was the latest reverse-engineered, open-source driver code that gets the Touch Bar and ALS support working for MacBook Pro 13,* / 14,* / 15,* models.
- Internet Archive Infrastructure — Jonah Edwards breaks down how the Internet Archive works, behind the scenes.
- All Jupiter Broadcasting Shows
- liamg/traitor — Automatic Linux privesc via exploitation of low-hanging fruit e.g. gtfobins.
- Don't expose the Docker socket (not even to a container) — Docker primarily works as a client that communicates with a daemon process (dockerd). Typically that socket is a UNIX domain socket called /var/run/docker.sock. That daemon is highly privileged; effectively having root access. Any process that can write to the dockerd socket also effectively has root access.
- Feedback: Minecraft Bedrock Bridge
- GeyserMC — Enable clients from Minecraft Bedrock Edition to join your Minecraft Java server.
- Feedback: Audio Hardware
- Feedback: Episode 394
- Feedback: Arch Discussion