In this episode of Syntax, Scott and Wes talk about their predictions for 2021!
Sanity.io is a real-time headless CMS with a fully customizable Content Studio built in React. Get a Sanity powered site up and running in minutes at sanity.io/create. Get an awesome supercharged free developer plan on sanity.io/syntax.
LogRocket lets you replay what users do on your site, helping you reproduce bugs and fix issues faster. It’s an exception tracker, a session re-player and a performance monitor. Get 14 days free at logrocket.com/syntax.
Whether you’re working on a personal project or managing enterprise infrastructure, you deserve simple, affordable, and accessible cloud computing solutions that allow you to take your project to the next level. Simplify your cloud infrastructure with Linode’s Linux virtual machines and develop, deploy, and scale your modern applications faster and easier. Get started on Linode today with a $100 in free credit for listeners of Syntax. You can find all the details at linode.com/syntax. Linode has 11 global data centers and provides 24/7/365 human support with no tiers or hand-offs regardless of your plan size. In addition to shared and dedicated compute instances, you can use your $100 in credit on S3-compatible object storage, Managed Kubernetes, and more. Visit linode.com/syntax and click on the “Create Free Account” button to get started.
02:06 - ESM
- Scott: It’s going to be big
- Wes: Everything going forward should be ESM
05:44 - Wes: Remote work will grow
- Whole new talent pool opens up
- Whole new living situations open up
08:23 - Scott: Deno will grow
11:12 - Wes: Tooling will fade away
- Less setup, more behind the scenes
19:35 - Wes: Programming communities will gain traction
23:25 - Scott: More WASM
27:19 - Typescript
- Wes: Typescript will become more popular
- Scott: Tooling will get better
29:37 - React
- Scoped CSS in React will evolve
- SSR and hydration will be better
- People will fall out of love with React
- Or more magic will get added to React
32:52 - Scott: More web component frameworks
33:59 - Wes: Gatsby
- Hosted GraphQL / SSR / Render on demand
- Solve the pain of long build times
- Syntax 308: Gatsby vs Next.js in 2021
35:24 - Scott: AR tech will grow
36:38 - Wes: AI will become accessible
- Something as easy as a search result
- RTX Voice
38:43 - VS Code
- It will continue dominating
- Cloud and shared coding env will become better
40:18 - CSS
- Color functions
- More use of built-in features
- Scoped CSS
- People are going to love and use CSS variables
- Modern CSS Design Systems Course
42:39 - Serverless
45:30 - Wes: Enterprise Jamstack will become a thing
46:30 - PWAs might become more popular
- Apple will never want you to go around the app store
- Scott: Deno 101 for Web Developers - Sign up for the year and save 25%!
- Wes: All Courses - Use the coupon code ‘Syntax’ for $10 off!