Hasty Treat - Bike Shedding
In this Hasty Treat, Scott and Wes talk about bike shedding - issues that are hotly debated, but may not matter that much in the long run.
LogRocket lets you replay what users do on your site, helping you reproduce bugs and fix issues faster. It’s an exception tracker, a session re-player and a performance monitor. Get 14 days free at https://logrocket.com/syntax.
3:03 - What is Bike Shedding?
- Technical disputes over minor, marginal issues conducted while more serious ones are being overlooked. The implied image is of people arguing over what color to paint the bike shed while the house is not finished.
4:39 - Tabs vs spaces
- Two spaces
5:50 - Single vs double quotes
- Single in JS, double in HTML
7:05 - Semicolons or not
9:01 - Grouping/ordering CSS properties
- Wes: Format
- Scott: Alphabetical
constfor life —
constby default — change to
14:24 - Default vs named exports
- Use both
15:58 - Should designers code?
- If interested, sure
17:58 - Which front-end framework
- Whichever one best suits your needs
19:30 - Vim/Emacs vs Atom/VS Code/Sublime
- VS Code
21:53 - Small perf wins
- Micro optimization often aren’t needed
25:14 - Browser support
- If you’re required to support it, then support it
25:47 - Block formatting
- Function block
- Else on a new line vs else after block
29:07 - Trailing comma