Hasty Treat - Keyboard Events Are Surprisingly Interesting
In this Hasty Treat, Scott and Wes talk about keyboard events and some of the fascinating things you can do with them!
Prismic is a Headless CMS that makes it easy to build website pages as a set of components. Break pages into sections of components using React, Vue, or whatever you like. Make corresponding Slices in Prismic. Start building pages dynamically in minutes. Get started at prismic.io/syntax.
LogRocket lets you replay what users do on your site, helping you reproduce bugs and fix issues faster. It’s an exception tracker, a session re-player and a performance monitor. Get 14 days free at logrocket.com/syntax.
03:04 - The Events
- Keypress - deprecated
- inputType tells you whether the event is inserting text, replacing text, inserting a line break, etc.
- change event - only fires when you focus out
08:02 - Event meta data
"key": "c", "keyCode": 67, "which": 67, "code": "KeyC", "location": 0, "altKey": false, "ctrlKey": false, "metaKey": true, "shiftKey": false
16:46 - Media keys
- play, pause, ect
- Overkill app: https://krausefx.com/blog/introducing-overkill-dont-let-itunes-interrupt-your-workflow
18:32 - When might you use key codes?
- Space bar to stop a video on a page
- Building a game
- Making a web app feel more like an app
- Better Touch Tool
- Syntax 315: Hasty Treat - Hyper Productivity with Keyboard Shortcuts + Window Management