Hasty Treat - Should you install a dependency or roll your own?
In this Hasty Treat, Scott and Wes talk about installing dependencies vs rolling your own - the advantages and disadvantages, and how to know when to do either.
LogRocket lets you replay what users do on your site, helping you reproduce bugs and fix issues faster. It’s an exception tracker, a session replayer and a performance monitor. Get 14 days free over at https://logrocket.com/syntax.
2:15 - Reasons To roll your own
- Learning Experience
- Add your own features
- Lightweight - only use what you need
8:08 - Reasons not to roll your own
- Battle Tested
- Actually Tested
11:27 - Fork
- Something needs extra features
- Upstream your changes
13:10 - Some Examples
- Fetch + function vs Axios
- Date functions vs Stack Overflow copy/paste
- Lodash vs your own - try it with map/reduce/filter first, but lots of cases need Lodash