Headless CMS Break Down & Roundup
In this episode of Syntax, Scott and Wes talk about headless content management systems — why you might want to use one, things you should take into account, and more!
Sanity.io is a real-time headless CMS with a fully customizable Content Studio built in React. Get a Sanity powered site up and running in minutes at sanity.io/create. Get an awesome supercharged free developer plan on sanity.io/syntax.
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the “How did you hear about us?” section.
02:38 - What and why
- A headless CMS doesn’t mean you have to use a static site generator
- A headless CMS has an API:
- A headless CMS can pipe its content into:
- Static Site on build - like Gatsby
- An app on run/refresh
- An existing website - widget
- What makes a CMS? Do you need a UI?
- What is the threshold?
- Is a hotdog a sandwich?
- Things to think about when choosing an API
- Auth - Rules + roles + levels
- How easy is it to create new data types?
- Is it code or UI?
- Can my mom use it?
- Can you create one-off content types? (e.g. settings pages)
- Custom workflows
- dRafts, revisions, roll backs
- How are images handled? Do you need another service for that?
- Pre-determined UI
- Is custom UI possible?
- Two-way relationships?
- Data validation?
- UI + API?
- Content movability?
- Can you get your data out?
- CORS or realtime API?
- Can you insert data via the API? (or just pull)
- Node API
- Importing data
24:37 - Hosted
- Dato CMS
- Agility CMS
- Seems to be making a big corporate play
36:59 - Self-Hosted
- Craft CMS
- Joomla (JK!)
44:33 - API (BYOUI)
47:37 - Git Based
50:30 - Other