Potluck EP × Remote Work × Headless WordPress × Good Client Questions × Alternate Careers × React API Credentials
It’s another potluck episode in which Wes and Scott talk about freelancing best practices, tips for working remotely, what they would do if they had to pick a different career, and much more!
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the “How did you hear about us?” section.
Check out Coffeecup’s CSS Grid.cc builder tool and resources to learn, prototype and build next gen layouts with CSS Grid!
- How long should you stay with each job and/or company?
- What is the best way to work remotely?
- Tips for remote working
- Have a dedicated space
- Clear on and off times
- Have a time for winding down
- Make specific TODO lists
- Use blocking software to help you stay focused
- Switch up the scenery / Work in different places
- What are the trade-offs with using WordPress in a headless setup vs a tradition setup?
- How do you deal with API credentials in React?
- How do you keep an eye on performance with an app/site over the long-term?
- What happened to Canvas after all the hype around HTML5 a few years ago?
- How do you deal with analysis paralysis?
- Just get to work - you can always change things later
- Do research, but don’t let it get in the way of shipping
- If you were forced to change your career (and it had to be something you’ve never done professionally in the past), what would it be?
- Wes: Some sort of buying and selling (eBay, Amazon, etc,)
- Example: Buying things at wholesale prices and selling them with a markup
- Scott: Could go a lot of different directions.
- Example: DJ, Snowboarding instructor, develop a video game that is a sequel to Cruis’n USA
- As a freelance developer, what are some good questions to ask before taking on a client?
- Preferred communication methods
- How do you make money?
- What are the ultimate goals?
- Basically, ask as many questions as possible