Potluck - How to Pick a Tech Stack × useEffect × setTimeout × Staying Focused
In this episode of Syntax, Wes and Scott answer your questions about picking the right tech stack, whether useEffect is still useful, benefit to use uses setTimeout, and more!
Whether you’re working on a personal project or managing enterprise infrastructure, you deserve simple, affordable, and accessible cloud computing solutions that allow you to take your project to the next level. Simplify your cloud infrastructure with Linode’s Linux virtual machines and develop, deploy, and scale your modern applications faster and easier. Get started on Linode today with a $100 in free credit for listeners of Syntax. You can find all the details at linode.com/syntax. Linode has 11 global data centers and provides 24/7/365 human support with no tiers or hand-offs regardless of your plan size. In addition to shared and dedicated compute instances, you can use your $100 in credit on S3-compatible object storage, Managed Kubernetes, and more. Visit linode.com/syntax and click on the “Create Free Account” button to get started.
LogRocket lets you replay what users do on your site, helping you reproduce bugs and fix issues faster. It’s an exception tracker, a session re-player and a performance monitor. Get 14 days free at logrocket.com/syntax.
Auth0 is the easiest way for developers to add authentication and secure their applications. They provides features like user management, multi-factor authentication, and you can even enable users to login with device biometrics with something like their fingerprint. Not to mention, Auth0 has SDKs for your favorite frameworks like React, Next.js, and Node/Express. Make sure to sign up for a free account and give Auth0 a try with the link below. a0.to/syntax
- 00:23 Welcome
- 02:39 What’s the best way of comparing the efficiency of object literals created from a factory function vs objects created by new’ing a class.
- 06:54 How can I always see the full signature in VS Code?
- 10:40 What’s your process for picking a stack when starting a project?
- 14:41 Sponsor: Linode
- 15:23 Is snapshot testing really worth it?
- TS QuickFixes
- 20:54 What are your thoughts on ISR Incremental Static Regeneration?
- 25:20 Is useEffect public enemy #1?
- Goodbye, useEffect: David Khourshid
- 29:02 Sponsor: LogRocket
- 30:17 Is there any benefit to use uses setTimeout instead of setInterval?
- 37:13 HTML to PDF a great solution I use is gotenberg.dev
- 40:12 Although async/await might make for code that is easier to grok, I find it worse for chaining functions.
- Pipeline Operator proposal
- 45:07 How do you guys stay focused for meaningful periods of time?
- 48:36 How should code formatters be configured and combined?
- ES Lint
- Editor Config
- No-Sweat™ Eslint and Prettier Setup
- 51:56 What’s your opinion on the latest Sveltekit changes with load, file based routing, and more?
- Major Svelte Kit API Change - Fixing
load, and tightening up SvelteKit’s design before 1.0
- Nano Store
- 55:53 Sponsor: Auth0
- 56:47 SIIIIICK ××× PIIIICKS ×××