In this episode of Syntax, Scott and Wes are coming at you live from Reactathon with audience-favorite segments including All I Want for Christmas in React, JS or Nay-s (or Both), Overrated / Underrated, Hot Take Tweets, Listener Questions, and more!
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the “How did you hear about us?” section.
MagicBell, the embeddable notification inbox - magicbell.io. Use the coupon code SYNTAX to get a 20% discount if you sign up in the next two weeks.
If you want to know what’s happening with your errors, track them with Sentry. Sentry is open-source error tracking that helps developers monitor and fix crashes in real time. Cut your time on error resolution from five hours to five minutes. It works with any language and integrates with dozens of other services. Syntax listeners can get two months for free by visiting Sentry.io and using the coupon code “tastytreat”.
04:17 - All I Want for Christmas in React is:
- Suspense for data fetching
- On mount animations
- Unmount for me
- Single file components
- Input to state mapping
09:45 - JS or Nay-s (or Both)
- Shout out to Pigeonhole
- Graphene - 1) Carbon atoms organized in a hexagonal lattice, or 2) An opinionated Python library for building GraphQL Libraries in Python?
- Floodlight - 1) A super simple syntax highlighter for XHTML documents, or 2) a large light used to illuminate dark outdoor spaces?
- Toy Machine - 1) An early 2000s skate brand, or 2) A Vue-based GUI for creating state machines?
- Joplin - 1) A free, open-source note taking and to-do application based on markdown, or 2) A city in the northwestern corner of Missouri?
- Innr - 1) A smart lightbulb, or 2) A CSS in JS library for selecting parent selectors?
- Cabkoma Strand - 1) A thermoplastic carbon fiber composite rod used in modern buildings, or 2) A Redux-like state management library for Svelte?
- Sputnik V - 1) Code name for the upcoming WordPress release with built-in headless CMS mode, or 2) A non-replicating viral vector COVID-19 vaccine?
18:44 - Overrated / Underrated
27:49 - Hot Take Tweets
34:34 - Listener Questions
- Q: If you recently started doing web dev work, which career path would you choose - startup, FANG, or freelance?
- Q: TypeScript all the things?
- Q: What do you do to keep up with the latest and greatest changes in tech - front-end libraries, new languages, etc.?
- Q: Can you share some exclusive BBQ tips?
- Q: What do you expect of Blitz.js in the next few years?
- Q: What’s the first node module you install in a brand new React project besides React itself?
- Q: Thoughts on using languages other than JS and TS with React like Kotlin?
- Q: Do you have an approach for optimizing hi-res images that are stored in your back-end, like S3 for your Gatsby website?
- Watch the live recording of this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xJpxj6T1BQ
- Syntax Ep 206: State Machines, CSS and Animations with David K Piano
- Check My Hair - Wes Bos
- LockPickingLawyer YouTube Channel
- Scott: All Courses - Sign up for the year and save 25%!
- Wes: All Courses - Use the coupon code ‘Syntax’ for $10 off!