Soft Skills Tips
In this episode of Syntax, Scott and Wes talk about soft skills tips — productivity, planning, communication, and more.
If you want to know what’s happening with your errors, track them with Sentry. Sentry is open-source error tracking that helps developers monitor and fix crashes in real time. Cut your time on error resolution from five hours to five minutes. It works with any language and integrates with dozens of other services. Syntax listeners can get two months for free by visiting Sentry.io and using the coupon code “tastytreat”.
Get a 30 day free trial of Freshbooks at freshbooks.com/syntax and put SYNTAX in the “How did you hear about us?” section.
2:20 - Productivity
- Make a todo list and prioritize
- Get ideas out of your brain
- Use a tool like Notion as a second brain
- Batch related things together
- Recharge when you need it
- Have a system and stick to it
16:34 - Finishing projects
- Do a little every day
- Go all-in for a few days
- Clearly identify what needs to be done (Github issues, todo app)
23:30 - Planning tips
- I use Mind Node
- Write it down when you have an idea
- Put everything in a calendar
30:24 - Communication
- Be honest and upfront with deadlines
- Give yourself padding — many people are overly optimistic
- Don’t let people expect communication from you, at all, or at all times
- Assume good intentions
- Don’t be a jerk to clients or coworkers
40:28 - Skill and career advancement
- FDD — fun driven development
- Share what you learn
- Don’t let other’s progress get you down — there is always someone smarter doing crazier stuff
- Solve your own problems
- Apply and interview for anything that’s interesting
- Track your progress
- I want to ___, I wish I could ____, You are lucky that you get to _____
- Just start! Seriously. Plan on doing something.
- Level 1 Electron
- Jason Freid
- David Heinemeier Hanson
- It Doesn’t Have To Be Crazy At Work
- Mind Node
- Xerf Xpec YouTube Channel
- Scott: Animating React with Framer Motion - Sign up for the year and save 25%!