Tech To Watch In 2020
In this episode of Syntax, Scott and Wes talk about tech to watch in 2020 — things you should keep an eye on and learn this year!
Sanity.io is a real-time headless CMS with a fully customizable Content Studio built in React. Get a Sanity powered site up and running in minutes at sanity.io/create. Get an awesome supercharged free developer plan on sanity.io/syntax.
LogRocket lets you replay what users do on your site, helping you reproduce bugs and fix issues faster. It’s an exception tracker, a session re-player and a performance monitor. Get 14 days free at logrocket.com/syntax.
6:39 - CSS Subgrid
8:10 - CSS Houdini
11:20 - CSS features not supported in older browsers yet
- Scrollsnap - IE 11 and up. Lot’s of mobile issues.
- position:sticky - no IE at all
14:24 - NPM tink
- installer-less npm
- Load packages at runtime into a shared cache across all projects
- Intelligently download the parts you need
17:25 - Yarn PnP
- Hard links to eliminate package duplication
- Shared cache across all projects
18:31 - Pika & Snowpack
21:10 - Deno
- New Node?
25:39 - React
- Suspense in more libraries
- Suspense for Server Rendering
- New ownership. v1.9 just dropped with lots of promise for future growth
- Svelte 3
- Vue 3
36:37 - Serverless
- Going to get easier
- Next.js / Now Functions
38:14 - Gatsby
- A single useQuery (made possible by suspense)
39:36 - Headless CMS Thunderdome
42:20 - Next Gen Frameworks
43:46 - Cypress
- End to end testing
- Currently no Firefox support, but hopeful for 2020
44:21 - Modulz
- Exports to JS component
45:00 - Figma
- Was already amazing in 2019
- Constantly improving and adding new features
- Can import from Sketch
- Syntax 109: CSS Grid Level 2 aka Subgrid
- CSS Houdini
- Interactive Introduction to CSS Houdini
- Next Generation Package Management
- Yarn PnP
- Syntax 212: Pika Pkg
- Ryan Dahl - 10 Things I regret About Node.js
- Meteor roadmap
- Svelte 3
- Syntax 209: Hasty Treat - Wes Teaches Scott about Keystone.js
- James Quick YouTube Channel
- Scott: Fullstack React and Firebase - Sign up for the year and save 25%!
- Wes: All Courses - Use the coupon code ‘Syntax’ for $10 off!