EP413 – Full Site Editor for Agencies
- Frost – WordPress Theme – https://frostwp.com/
- 1.0 Is the Loneliest Number https://ma.tt/2010/11/one-point-oh/
- Building the New Pagely.com – https://zao.is/blog/2021/11/22/building-the-new-pagely-com/
“the core should provide features that 80% or more of end users will actually appreciate and use. If the next version of WordPress comes with a feature that the majority of users immediately want to turn off, or think they’ll never use, then we’ve blown it.”
Twitter Thread (thanks Amber Hinds @aucoeurblog for the mention)
.@bgardner We’re not building FSE themes yet, but are all-in on the block editor and theme.json. Our reasons for not using FSE yet:
1. Too beta for production sites. Gutenberg is *barely* production-ready, with breaking changes in every major WP release.
2. Need ability to lock down template editing so non-technical clients don’t accidentally break site. We had to stop using reusable blocks because too often clients accidentally deleted all content in it instead of removing the block, which broke content globally.
3. We want our themes to be version controlled. When you “edit” a FSE theme or the global styles, it saves your changes in database. GH repo does not reflect actual site and will make future updates more difficult.
4. I believe in separating design, code, and content. HTML files with hardcoded block markup makes this more challenging.
That said, I think FSE is a big step forward for the majority of WP users. Most users/businesses with a WP site don’t have budget to hire an agency to build a custom theme. FSE vastly improves their capabilities. I agree w/ @aucoeurblog it’s not ready for enterprise / larger biz.
- Jason Tucker – jasontucker.blog
- Steve Zehngut – zeek.com
- Sé Reed – sereedmedia.com
- Jason Cosper – jasoncosper.com
- Brian Gardner – briangardner.com
- Bill Erickson – billerickson.net
Are You Looking For Brand Awareness? Wanna Sponsor Us?
You could be a show sponsor. Let people know you’re still in business and supporting your products. Supporting podcasts is a great way to repurpose your in-person conference budget.
We have been sponsored by big brands such as Kinsta and Cloudways. Why not get your audience in front of the thousands of people who download this show every month?
Yes, WPwatercooler has thousands of downloads every month. We’re not just a YouTube Show.