EP63 – What are the best ways to work with WordPress Multisite? – WPwatercooler – Nov 25 2013
[LISTATTENDEES event_identifier=”ep63-what-are-the-best-ways-to-work-with-wordpress-multisite-wpwatercooler-” show_gravatar=”true”]
Multisite is the art of having one WordPress installation manage many multiple sites on one WordPress instance. Each site on the network gets its own tables and each site will get its own table except the users table. You get 1 easy way to install plugins and themes and so on.
Three types of multisite:
* virtual domains
When not to use multisite:
* If you’re a WP beginner
* If you don’t intend to use premium hosting
Good uses for multisite
* Creating enterprise level solutions for multiple states/locations/etc
* When you have multiple sites that use the same theme
* Universities/restaurants/medical facilities/religious institutions/real estate
Highly recommended plugin to help with multisites:
* Proper Network Activation
* Plugins to break off your database and make it more manageable
* WPMU – good resource for many multisite plugins
Know that implementing multisite takes a lot of planning and know how. It might be best for you to hire someone that really knows what they’re doing and plan to keep them on retainer.
If you’re a dev, have a test site to make sure you plugin plays nice in the multisite sandbox. If it doesn’t then document that.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.